Motto in English
|Educate to Elevate|
|Chancellor||Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. P. Kaliraj|
|Registrar||Dr. K. Murugan|
|Campus||Urban, 1,000 acres (404.7 ha)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, NCTE, ACU, AIU|
Bharathiar University is a state university in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. Named after Tamil poet Subramania Bharati, the university was established in February 1982 under the provision of Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982) and was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 1985.
The university is in the foothills of Marudamalai road, Coimbatore and has jurisdiction over the districts of Coimbatore, Erode, Tiruppur and the Nilgiris. It has 133 affiliated institutions (115 Aided and Self financing colleges, 13 Government colleges, 1 Air Force Administrative college, 3 Constituent colleges and one University PG Extension and Research Centre).
The university was established at Coimbatore by the government of Tamil Nadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras, which was functioning in Coimbatore before 1982 formed the core of the Bharathiar University. In May, 1985 the university received recognition from the University Grants Commission New Delhi for the purpose of grants.
The university is named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi, with the motto "Educate to Elevate".
Bharathiar University celebrated its silver jubilee celebrations on 24 February 2007. The president of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, and the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi, were chief guests. Bharathiar University provides graduate, masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs in various subjects. The university is known for its stringent Phd evaluation guidelines.
The University is situated at the backdrop of the Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a campus of 1000 acres, 15 km from the city of Coimbatore.
Affiliated colleges and institutes
Institutes affiliated to the university include 13 Government Colleges, 1 Air Force Administrative College, 3 Constituent Colleges, 1 University PG Extension and Research Centre, 16 Aided Colleges and 99 Self Financing Colleges.
- School of Life sciences
- School of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- School of Commerce and Management
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Educational studies
- School of Physical sciences
- School of Economics
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Tamil and other Indian Languages
- School of English and other Foreign Languages
- School of Distance Education
- Communication and Media Studies
- Bharathiar School of Management and Entrepreneur Development (MBA)
- Computer Science
- Computer Application
- Educational Technology
- Electronics and Instrumentation
- Environmental Sciences
- Extension, Career Guidance and Students Welfare
- History medium
- Information Technology
- Human Genetics and molecular biology
- Medical Physics
- Nanoscience and Technology
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Population Studies & Human Resources Planning
- Social Work
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Microbial Biotechnology
- Bharathiar University Post Graduate Extension and Research Centre, Erode
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2020)||21|
|NIRF (Universities) (2020)||13|
- "Silver jubilee celebrations of Bharathiar University". Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "M.Phil / Ph.D Regulations Bharathiar University". PhD Degree Programs.
- "Affiliated Colleges List". www.b-u.ac.in. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bharathiar University.|